Saturday, August 18, 2012

Jared's Arrival

He made it!  Our newest addition has come into the world, and we are so excited for him to be here!

Due date was August 22nd, and so far the other 2 babies were late, so I didn't have any expectations of an early delivery.  What a nice surprise!

Thursday morning I woke up at 7 to contractions about 15 minutes apart.  John works down the street, but has to go to Palo Alto once a month to visit a client.  This was that day this month! :) He was already gone, so I walked out the contractions and wondered if I should start calling everyone.

I had a doctor's appointment that morning at 10.  After texting and getting everyone on alert, Olivia Baeza came to watch the kids and John's mom came to take me down the street to the hospital (just a couple of blocks from where we live).  
I am so glad they came!

Contractions were getting strong, so the doctor checked and I was at 5cm.  
Woohoo!  
She said she wouldn't let me go home, I needed to go get admitted immediately.  I went to the lobby and told Roma and we texted everyone, I walked through some contractions.  
John left his meeting early to hurry and make it, 
and Jennifer left her office in Davis (just over an hour away).   My mom was in southern California and knew at this rate she wasn't going to make it,  she drove here with my cousin.

Another 45 minutes till I was admitted, so just before 11.  I was doing fine, everyone kept asking if I was really in labor.  The receptionist at the doctor's office was shocked.  
She said 'Aren't you in pain??  You're halfway there!' 

John walked in at about 11:15.  Phew!  Contractions had slowed way down and had just started coming on again.  I was ready once he walked in to get this show going!  Jennifer came a few minutes later.  We were hoping she wouldn't be too traumatized :)

My doctor came in at 12:30 to break my water.  I had only moved to about 6cm, but she told the nurse she wasn't going far because it would be soon.  Right after she left the contractions changed and got harder fast.  I kept breathing through and hoping it wouldn't be too much longer.  

*It was about this time the thought crossed my mind about pain meds.  With Zach's delivery I had 8 epidurals and they didn't work, so they finally paralyzed me due to some complications.  With Elizabeth I didn't want any meds because I didn't want complications again.  I was hoping for the same with this birth.  For the record- I think epidurals are great and everyone should get one, I just don't want what it does or doesn't do to me.  I also like that I can be in control and aware of what is going on (much different than the first time!)

At about 12:50 it was time to push.  It took two and a half hours of pushing with Elizabeth, so I was scared it was going to take that long.  Last time everyone came in and got all ready, and then it took so long that everyone but one nurse left, and I did not want that to happen again!

Luckily after about 8 pushes, he was out.  And what a big boy he was!  They cleaned him fast and handed him to me.  He was HUGE!  It was very exciting and I was so relieved to be done so quickly.   He was born at 1:06.

They weighed him a few minutes later- 9 pounds 3 ounces.  And 6 days early!  Wow.  20 1/2 inches long.  And wide awake for the first 2 hours, looking around and taking it all in. 
We officially named him a few minutes later.  Jared Daniel Bishop.






He was so awake and such a big guy everyone thought he looks like a 2 week old.  

Start to finish: Woke up at 7, had a baby at 1:06.  We were pretty much in shock! 

They moved me to a recovery room and gave me some Motrin.  Pain killer time!  

A couple of hours later, Olivia brought the kids to see their new brother.  They were SO excited!  They didn't even notice anything in the room (machines and wires) they just focused on their baby.  They sat in the chair right away and were anxious to check him out.  They said 'Wow!  He can move his legs!  Wow!  He can move his head!'

 Curious about the umbilical cord

 (had just wiped goop from his eyes)


















 My mom and cousin made it that evening after lots of traffic.  They were very anxious!



 Daniel is for my dad's name.  We love middle names to be family names so they have some meaning and purpose behind them.  Daniel is perfect for this little guy.
Jared is for our friend from growing up. 
We have both known Jared and his family for years.  John since primary. 
Last year Jared went to sleep and passed away of unknown causes.  
We love him and his family and his wife and daughters and think of them all the time. 
Naming him Jared we are remembering our friend as well as teaching him of our testimonies that we can be together forever if we choose to follow Christ.  It makes me remember why we are here and how important it is to make the right choices to return to our Father in Heaven.
We both have felt strongly for that name since before we knew he was going to be a boy.  

After our 24 hours, we headed home.  Usually we stay the two days, but it was just Jared and me the first night and we were hoping to go home so we could quit getting poked and prodded all night.  

8 comments:

Kelli said...

Congrats! Loved the birth story.

Amy said...

Way to go mom and Jared!!!! He is darling :) Congrats!

Cameron said...

So happy for the Bishop family! What a beautiful story full of love and joy. Welcome to the three-children-in-a-few-years' time club of parents who know that there is always excitement, that breaks are few and far between, that you experience unfathomable amounts of love, hilarity, frustration and happiness simultaneously... And who wouldn't trade any of it for the world!! XOXO
- Cameron

Tamarama said...

Congrats, Bishop family! When I saw on Facebook that you named him Jared, I wondered if it was after my cousin. I'm happy it was. Congrats again! Beautiful baby and family.

Janelle Jenkins said...

When I saw you named him Jared I started to cry! That is beautiful and a wonderful way to teach your child through his name! Thank you do much for sharing!

Michelle said...

Congratulations. I'm so glad things were quick and easy. When I was born it was similar. My mom had gone to her check up and the doctor made her go straight to the hospital and check in! And I love the story of his name. I was almost crying just reading it.

erin said...

congratulations! beautiful baby boy!

alisha said...

You are so awesome! Jared is just adorable. So happy for you guys!