Friday, September 12, 2008

Update on Zach's toys: He is loving them. He is in his room right now playing with them. He loves books, especially little cardboard ones. He flips through them over and over and it is adorable. He also loves his Handy Manny tool set that sings and a little tool bench I found at DI to 'go' with it. He crawls around with a tool in each hand and whacks stuff with them. Just fixing stuff.
He also likes to open and close doors. Until he closes them all the way, then he is mad at the door for being closed.
So I have added some links to the side of my blog. I like to click on other people's links, but I usually have no idea what they are and if they are any good or not.
C Jane- The blog of the sister of the woman in the accident. This sister is here in Provo and is raising the sister's four kids right now
Craft Lady- An LDS woman in NYC who likes to do homemade crafts that are really cute. She is about to have her first baby, a boy, and has really cute ideas for baby showers. Fun one to browse. Also fun to look at her links.
Design Mom- Great ideas, notes, how-tos, etc
Funky Bag Ladies- This is my sister in law and her sister and the awesome bags they make. Very cute! Check this one out for sure.
Great Food Storage- A link I stumbled onto about food storage. She talks a lot about what to do little by little, as well as a three-month food storage plan.
LDS- The LDS.org website which is great for finding out information about Mormons, finding talks to read on whatever topic is troubling you, and to get phone numbers for people in the stake!
My Grandma's Art- that pretty much explains it! My Grandma is an artist and this is her website for watercolors. You can order them right there too. She is the one who did the painting of Zach and me right after he was born.
Nie Nie- the woman who got in the accident. I went back in the archives to see what she wrote, and I just love this blog. I love how she explains what happens in their daily life and especially all her photos.
Rate my Space- Loving design, this is a fun one! Anyone can post any pictures of a room- whether you want help in figuring out what to do or you want everyone to see how great a new room is! Also wonderful for getting ideas. I copy some of my favorites to a word document so that I will have plenty to work with when we have a new place. Yup, that's the only part I'm looking forward to in moving :)
Sadie Bird- My aunt is here in Utah and has a long arm quilter! She rents it out by the hour, so you actually get to do it yourself. She just started and has a great work area for it! I am excited...and once I sew together the squares I have I will get to use it!
Shoebox blog- This is just a funny one. It has a funny way of telling news stories, like Jay Leno and Letterman. I am not responsible for what you read, remember that it is like watching Jay Leno :)

Other things going on....John and I watched a documentary about 9-11 last night. It was film from people running around on the streets with their video cameras. It was so real and scary for those people, especially since they didn't know the second plane was going to crash or that the towers would each fall. The second one (which was actually the first hit I think) didn't fall for almost an hour after the first one fell, so they were able to get lots of people out. The jumpers were totally scary since people zoomed in and you could see them jump or fall. A lot of them too, I figured maybe like 5 jumped from so high but there were waaaay more than that, and that's just what we could see on one side. Some of the people up there were calling 911 and they played those tapes, where the dispatcher tried to calm people down but the only thing they could say was that people were on their way to help them and to make sure they shut doors so smoke didn't come through. It seemed almost like a movie and we had to remind ourselves that it was really happening and that these people were running for their lives. There were lots of heroes that day, and I learned a lot from watching what was going on for people living through it. For sure anyone directly or indirectly involved has gone through so much from that. We felt for those people and I am glad they showed it on TV so we could get a better idea of what really happened. One thing that was impressive apart from the medical services being administered so fast is that everyone cared for each other. Everyone walking away from the first crash all helped each other, and then the enormous amount of smoke the covered the city also brought people together to try and help strangers out of rubble and to help find water for those who couldn't breathe with their mouths filled with smoke. No one cared what was being left behind or what was going on other than the people and getting everyone safe. The people videotaping from their apartments jst burst into tears with every event and felt so sad for the people in the towers. I remember everyone coming together around that time, hanging flags and being Proud to be American. It started right there, right when it happened. Also there is a movie, World Trade Centers with Nicholas Cage, that I liked. We watched it last year and it is based on a true story. It helped to show the perspective from the police and other emergency services.

Well! That's how we went to bed last night. John only had one class today which was nice. Everyone got a nap and I jogged 2.5 miles! I am doing it with a friend in my ward and we want to do it every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I am excited, it was really fun plus it is so great to start my day off that way. I would much rather run around playing soccer, but I have gotten used to the running thing since that is just how it has to go for now. I got a jogging stroller at DI so now I have to go wash it and I am set (I was using our regular one, which is also the one we used for the 5k).

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Zach is so cute and getting so big! His party seemed so great! I checked out some of the new links you put up. I have to force myself never to go back to Design Mom again! So much of what she posts I want! Like the bubble calendar, and those adorable children's clothes!! Oh, so cute! Hope all is well with you guys! You look great by the way! Congratulations on being so great at getting into shape!

erin said...

even though they are slow, i am up to two miles! be proud, ok? a month and a half ago i could only run for like 5 minutes, and i knew that was sad, so i've been running regularly. i want to get up to 3mi, stay at that for a long time (b/c thats about the time allowance i have each day for working out), and then slowly move up.

also, have you seen the 9-11 movie? its so sad, but its good. i never want to watch it again just b/c it was so sad.