I just read this article, which I have heard a lot about lately. I thought it was a good one. I don't stand by everything it says, but I thought it was a good way to try and send the message to slow everyone down.
This morning I was unpacking some boxes and found some wooden puzzles I got at DI last year, and some Melissa and Doug lacing shapes. I gave them to Zach, who played with them for hours. The whole morning he loved to look at the puzzles and try to put some of the pieces back in (He-elp. Mo-om.) It was fun to see him enjoy these so much, and made me think about toys and how the 'classic' simple ones that inspire play are the best.
Then I read Tristan's post about story books and how they are getting political. That they don't inspire anything, they are just about the one individual who wants to be different, or who is different. She mentioned Adam Sandler's Bedtime Stories, which has been on my list of movies to watch for a while but I haven't seen it yet. Anyway, it made me think about one of my favorite books, Mrs. Twiggley's Tree. It's about a woman who lived in a tree and the town thought she was crazy...till there was a flood, and she was able to accommodate the whole town up in her tree. It made me want to have a treehouse! Then I liked Swiss Family Robinson and then the Boxcar Children- which might be why I am watching Survivor right now. I love the idea of having to make do with what is around you and creating stuff into something useful. Maybe it all goes back to that book.
1 comment:
I wouldn't put too much stock in Bedtime Stories. I want my two hours back.
Post a Comment